Stile Alfa Romeo

tokyo gtv purchase

« Older   Newer »
tokyo
view post Posted on 24/5/2011, 07:47

please assist me.
may purchase this 1998 gtv 2l. turbo v-6 (corse). want to know if interior & dual exhaust is from the factory (broker reports not modified).

-54,000km, certified
-jpy 8.8 million (approx US$10,500)
-build plate intact next to shift lever

any information regarding corse edition gtv, or this engine (power rating, dependability) would be really helpful to me
if you can give me the link to another site for more information also would be wonderful.

thanks, gerry - tokyo -

ricky1750
view post Posted on 24/5/2011, 10:13

I'm no GTV expert (Rudy, IlDuca is :D ) but it looks like a GTV Cup to me (although as far as i know the Cup limited edition is a 1999, not 1998). From the photos i seriously doubt the radio and steering weel are original.. if it's a Cup the bonnet does not match, as the front bumper/dam and the intakes behind the front weels.
Also the Cup had a single exhaust, not dual... so, it definitely does not match with an original Cup, and personally i've never heard of a "Corse" version, at least in the Italian market... it may be just me not knowing though :D i see it's left drive, so it's not a special version for Japan, did they tell you for what market it's supposed to be? (eu, it etc)

EDIT: a Cup www.adoos.it/post/5678292/alfa_rome...mited_edition_2

Evo Review of the Cup: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarrevi..._romeo_gtv.html

tokyo
view post Posted on 24/5/2011, 10:28

thanks good info, just what i am looking for.
virtually all euro sportscars are imported into japan as "euro spec" (country of build) ....therefore all virtually all jpnese
porsche, sports editions of alfas, etc will be LHD.

can anyone explain the build plate............ & is their a VIN service offered by alfa (like porsche PET) where i can search vin to determine original build/engine #/option codes, etc.....thanks

ricky1750
view post Posted on 24/5/2011, 10:40

CITAZIONE (tokyo @ 24/5/2011, 11:28) 
thanks good info, just what i am looking for.
virtually all euro sportscars are imported into japan as "euro spec" (country of build) ....therefore all virtually all jpnese
porsche, sports editions of alfas, etc will be LHD.

Uhm.. i'm pretty sure that the RHD of the GT and GTV do exist (at least from what i've seen on video).
I AM sure that the GT is sold as RHD as the last GT in production was a limited version for Japan with the 3.2 v6 Busso (named Quadrifoglio Oro) which is definiteu RHD.

CITAZIONE (tokyo @ 24/5/2011, 11:28) 
can anyone explain the build plate............ & is their a VIN service offered by alfa (like porsche PET) where i can search vin to determine original build/engine #/option codes, etc.....thanks

The plate to my knowlege does not look nowhere similar to any plate i've seen in any numbered version modern Alfa.. it's no rule, but usually is polished (perhaps brushed) bright alluminiun, not bronze..
I do not want to put the car down, but given that:
1) Even if i'm no world expert on the GTV i've never ever heard about the "Corse" limited version
2) It's pretty impossible to google any information about it
3) It's not even mentioned in the RIAR (Registro Italiano Alfa Romeo) "closed list" of model of historical and collection interest
4) As far as i know the most interesting version for collection porpouse is well known to be the Cup
5) Honestly i do no really see Alfa Romeo putting such badges in such way in the back of the car
6) The rear wing doesnt look right at all

I would say it's not original... if you whish to give me some details/numbers is can ask a friend Alfa Dealer to do a search for you in the DB... maybe he can find something...

Edit: last think.. as far as i know, "Alfa Corse" does not exits and does not make much sense... Alfa racing dept was named Autodelta after '60, it was named Alfa Corse only from 38 to 59

tokyo
view post Posted on 24/5/2011, 11:03

thanks indeed -great information.
all info i have been able to source on 1.990l turbo v-6 has been positive & therefore remain inclined towards this car.
if modified - i like the mods (momo wheel, carbon fibre bits & dual out exhaust)....but mods as we know do not necessarily (never?) add value.
& clearly price of the car is overmarket unless it was original & very special so see what the broker says when i hit him between the eyes,

thanks again

ricky1750
view post Posted on 24/5/2011, 11:10

The car looks definitely good.. it looks overpriced to me, but as you can imagine i have no ideas of the prices in Japan :D
Mods do not add value to the car from a collection point of view ( instead they DROP value, and make it impossible to consider the car original and historical), but do add value to the car for the work done and because you have a unique car.. it's up to you name this additional value :D while the historical one is more "universally" valued.
Let us know, and welcome on board if you get it :D
Are they givin you any additional warranty? the GTV should be quite reliable, i'm pretty sure you can easily find around any soft spot to check.

tokyo
view post Posted on 24/5/2011, 20:51

thanks very good information, exactly what i was looking for....there are lots of gtv's here & while this is nice - low mileage price is high....so was trying to understand exactly what was special nature of corse stuff.
likely done as japan special to boost margins in intro yr.
virtually all sports cars are "euro" spec left hand drive in japan.
will trip to the broker when with my wife (my nihon-go is not strong enough to negotiate) to see what slippery slope he is prepared to negotiate price wise.
also have to locate a good indy for compression/leakdown tests & general p.p.i.
thanks again, appreciated.

ricky1750
view post Posted on 24/5/2011, 21:29

no problem :)

view post Posted on 25/5/2011, 09:15

❄❄❄ ARTIC LORD ❄❄❄

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (tokyo @ 24/5/2011, 08:47) 
please assist me.
may purchase this 1998 gtv 2l. turbo v-6 (corse). want to know if interior & dual exhaust is from the factory (broker reports not modified).

Ciao!
Scusami per la mia assenza ma ero alle prese con i post-compiti del nostro fine evento di domenica 22 maggio scorsa (http://alfaromeogtv.blogspot.com/2011/05/1...-22-maggio.html). Scusami davvero!!! :D :D

CITAZIONE
-54,000km, certified
-jpy 8.8 million (approx US$10,500)
-build plate intact next to shift lever

any information regarding corse edition gtv, or this engine (power rating, dependability) would be really helpful to me
if you can give me the link to another site for more information also would be wonderful.

Ti do subito delle informazioni CERTE:

- questo GTV non è del 1998 è ALMENO un 1997. Nel 1998 uscivano i GTV 2a serie con interni completamente diversi (miglior qualità dei materiali e ammodernamento dell'impianto elettrico-elettronico come passaggio dal rilevamente della velocità da cavo meccanico a sensori ABS - angoli ruote e geometria anteriori e posteriore modificate con netti miglioramenti - diversa mappatura motore (ce ne sono tre ufficialmente riconosciute da Alfa Romeo) questa meno aggressiva rispetto ai GTV del 1995 e del My97 del 1997). Questo è un GTV o 1a SERIE (1995-1996) o una My97 Edition (cioè i modelli del 1997 a partire da un certo numero di telaio avevano tutte le migliorie sospensione e mappatura motore piu' spinta
sia del 1995-96 che dal 98 in poi) con cielo migliorato che non si scolla peraltro...bisognerebbe in base al numero di telaio punzonato sul duomo anteriore verificare COSA esattamente sia se un My1997 o un "normale" 1995-96.

- Lo scarico non è assolutamente ORIGINALE:mai usciti da fabbrica con doppio scarico a Y dall'Italia;

- L'alettone posteriore non è assolutamente ORIGINALE:mai uscito da fabbrica con quell'alettone in quanto l'unico è lo Zender;

- Le modifiche interne (volante/pomello/rivestimento carbon look non sono originali) e non ufficiali Alfa Romeo;

- La placca numerata non ha senso:l'unica serie numerata è la "CUP" in Italia con targhetta argentata sulla plancia centrale;

La cosa che piu' mi vien facile da pensare è a qualche IMPORTATORE parallelo come la storia dell'AUTODELTA USA : www.mitoalfaromeo.com/html/autodelta_usa.asp

CITAZIONE
The plate to my knowlege does not look nowhere similar to any plate i've seen in any numbered version modern Alfa.. it's no rule, but usually is polished (perhaps brushed) bright alluminiun, not bronze..
1) Even if i'm no world expert on the GTV i've never ever heard about the "Corse" limited version
3) It's not even mentioned in the RIAR (Registro Italiano Alfa Romeo) "closed list" of model of historical and collection interest
4) As far as i know the most interesting version for collection porpouse is well known to be the Cup
5) Honestly i do no really see Alfa Romeo putting such badges in such way in the back of the car

It's all CORRECT!!
La sola versione "estera" prevista per il mercato europeo era,appunto,la CUP e si trattava di un 3.0 V6 aspirato. -_-

NB
PRego Ricky,per motivi di tempo logistici miei,se riesce a tradurre il tutto. ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Web  Top
ricky1750
view post Posted on 25/5/2011, 10:38

Grazie Rudy, mi metto a tradurre - Tokyo, i will translate the answer by Rudy asap :D

Edited by ricky1750 - 25/5/2011, 12:01

ricky1750
view post Posted on 25/5/2011, 11:01

- This GTV is not a 1998, but at best a 1997. From 1998 all GTV were a 2nd[series, with interiors of a completely different kind (better quality in materials and a better electric/electronics like an ABS sensors based speedometer instead of mechanical cable - better (sportier) wheels angles and geometry both on front and back, much improved - different engine map (there are three different official maps from Alfa Romeo), in this case less aggressive than both 1995 end 1997 - MY 1997 GTV.
This GTV is either a 1st series (1995-1996) or a MY97 Edition with an improved roof internal canopy (which does not glue-detach).
You can check if it's either a my1997 or a normal 1995-96 by the chassis number (it's on one of the front suspension struts)

- The exhaust is absolutely not ORIGINAL: no Y double exhaust ever came out of factory from Italy.

- The rear wing is absolutely not ORIGINAL: the only one used was the Zender.

- The interior mods (steering weel, gear shaft, carbon look wrapping are not original and not Alfa Romeo approved/official).

- The number plate doesn't make any sense: the only numbered version was the Cup, in Italy, with a SILVER plate on central consolle.

The only thing that comes to my mind is some parrallel import, like AUTODELTA USA : www.mitoalfaromeo.com/html/autodelta_usa.asp

CITAZIONE

It's all CORRECT!!
The only version for international europena market was the CUP, and it was an aspirated 3.0V6

tokyo
view post Posted on 26/5/2011, 07:46

many thanks gentlemen, your assistance much appreciated.

yesterday after discussions with the dealer (i needed my wife to translate) will definitely NOT proceed with this car.
the broker is unable to support his representations with documentation. the interior seems to have much higher wear
than a low mileage car should have. needs tires for certain. exhaust is aftermarket. not sure about the spoiler.
it may have been "created by importer" to boost margins, or attract attention, but definitely the interior bits that were added were done by a prior owner & looks not so good.
broker has acknowledged he has been trying to sell the car for a long time (over 8 months).

positive thing - i however have decided to focus on 2l. turbo edition.

there is perhaps a much better example recently came to market. i passed over it originally because its in nagoya, not local.
broker assures me he has documentation including last "shak-ken" inspections/certifications.
interior looks much better, & tires relatively new, wheels reported as unmarked.

less than 30,000km.....but it is expensive.

...hats off to rudy & ricky for in depth rely & translation. wonderful site you guys have....was lucky to have found it.

....i get an error message when i try to post the link re the gtv in nagoya now under consideration (likely because it contains japanese language characters!)....so have downloaded some of dealer photos......
97 gtv TB, 29,000km 1owner....9.9million jpy

cheers, gerry (tokyo)

ricky1750
view post Posted on 26/5/2011, 08:46

CITAZIONE (tokyo @ 26/5/2011, 08:46) 
many thanks gentlemen, your assistance much appreciated.

Our pleasure :D

less than 30,000km.....but it is expensive.

it looks niiice :D

97 gtv TB, 29,000km 1owner....9.9million jpy

uhm.. 9.9 million? isn't it something like 85000 euros? maybe 990.000 jpy? :D

tokyo
view post Posted on 26/5/2011, 10:06

oops yes quite correct asking 1 million jpy, about 12,000usd......how would that (only for discussion) compare with euro prices for this edition?

ricky1750
view post Posted on 26/5/2011, 10:25

hard to tell... it depends a LOT on the car conditions (real ones, not the one you can get from the photos).
I can see that a used GTV v6 turbo in italy in one of the main selling sites (autoscout24.it) for that mileage or less (provided it's true) goes from 3.500 euros to 12.500 euros
12.000 usd seems a little bit too much for me - for pretty much that price i was be able to get a late 2002 156 GTA SW few weeks ago (with a much higher mileage on it, but well serviced)
Prices also depend on how hard is to sell them, and a 2L v6 is much easier to sell, in italy, than a 3L or more engine.. road tax is based on bhp here, insurances costs are based on displacement... i know about people who have a perfect 3.2 GT on sale for more than 2 years, at less than 8.000 euros, and still cannot sell it because of the ownership costs.

31 replies since 24/5/2011, 07:47   2334 views